3/4 to 1 lb (340 g) shrimp – shelled, deveined and chopped
1/4 c bamboo shoots, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 egg white
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
25 pcs. dumpling wrapper (Shanghai style)
1. Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. To fill the wrappers, take a dumpling wrapper and pleat half of the circle to form a pouch.
3. Put in 2 teaspoons filling.
4. Moisten the edges with water then pinch together to seal.
5. Gently curve the two ends of the dumpling to form a crescent.
6. Continue filling the rest of the wrappers. If you find making a pouch too tedious, you may opt for the less complicated alternative.
7. Arrange on an oiled steaming plate or a steamer lined with bokchoy leaves and steam for 15-20 minutes. Then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.